How To Protect Your Pets On Bonfire Night
Protect Your Pets This Bonfire Night
Bonfire night is a very stressful time for animals. The noise of fireworks can reach up to 150 decibels, as loud as a jet engine, and dogs, cats and animals are often very sensitive to noise. Below are some tips to help protect your pets from all the whizzes and bangs of that particular night.
Stay With Them
If you know your pet is particularly sensitive to the sights and sounds of bonfire night then maybe skip your neighbours firework display or don't stay until the end and come home early to be with your pet. You are your pet's best friend and your presence will reassure them.
Does your pet have a secret hiding place or a favourite spot? It would be a good idea to make sure that they have access to it and maybe put some of their favourite toys there in order to make them feel comfortable and at ease. Also, every pet enjoy's a tickle and I'm sure you know where your pets favourite tickle spot is.
Cover Up The Sounds
Close the windows and put music on! Maybe your dog has a favourite song or likes to listen to the radio? Putting on the TV is also a good idea, your German Shepherd could secretly be a massive Grand Designs fan. Oh....and if you are planning a playlist, maybe stay away from "Who let the dogs out?".
Bring Them Inside
If your pet lives outside then consider bringing them inside for the night so you can keep a closer eye on them. If that’s not an option cover their housing up to block the sight and sound of fireworks which may distress them.
The good people at dog’s trust offer a free programme called 'Sounds Scary', one of the methods is to play your dog CD tracks of typical bonfire night sounds to help your dog get used to the noises and be less sensitive in the weeks leading up to the night.
If your know your dog will get particularly anxious on bonfire night talk to your vet about pheromone diffusers which disperse calming chemicals around the room to help comfort your dog.
Sky lanterns - Remember pretty sky lanterns are incredibly dangerous to animals as they can be accidentally consumed which can cause internal bleeding or animals can get trapped in them. Don’t just protect your animal, protect everyones.
View All Posts