7 Steps to Planning the Perfect Staycation Honeymoon
A staycation is a great choice when it comes to your honeymoon. It not only costs less than travelling abroad, but it also gives you more time to relax and reflect without the hassle of lengthy foreign travel. Getting your post-wedding staycation just right is more important, though, so read our seven steps to planning a blissful UK honeymoon.
1. Choose how to fund your honeymoonA popular way to fund a honeymoon is to ask for money towards it instead of a wedding gift. Do you really need another toaster or set of crockery? Think about whether you would rather have a wedding list of household items and pay for the honeymoon yourself, or whether you would like it to be a gift, contributed to by guests.
2. Set your budgetOnce you know how you're going to fund your honeymoon, set your budget. This will have a huge effect on where you go and the kind of accommodation you choose. Decide on a budget for the overall trip and then think about whether you would rather use more of it on luxury accommodation but without doing much, or cheaper accommodation with plenty of money to sight-see and eat out. Three and four-star hotels are a great compromise, offering luxury accommodation with price offers that will leave you with plenty of spending money.
3. Choosing a locationAre you culture vultures who enjoy city life? Are you outdoorsy folk who prefer to be inspired by nature and go on long walks? Some UK locations manage to bridge these, so if opposites attract in your case, you can still find a way to both be happy. Birmingham, for example, is a bustling city that boasts a vibrant cultural calendar and plenty of top sights. It's also only a short drive away from the Cotswolds and the beautiful Shropshire Hills.
4. Deciding on accommodationWhatever the budget, you want the accommodation to be special – this is your honeymoon, after all. Self-catering can be lovely, but for couples travelling alone, it's a bit of a home from home experience. Hotels, on the other hand, offer the relaxation you need after all that planning. When choosing a hotel, look for whether it offers varied facilities and has received any awards. If you've chosen to go for a cultural city break, the Hallmark Hotel Cambridge incorporates a golf course, tennis courts, swimming pool, spa and gym as well as easy access to the centre. The Hallmark Hotel Preston Leyland not only offers top facilities but has also won numerous awards including the Visit England Award for Customer Service, the Taste of Lancashire Award and also has a Green Business Tourism Scheme Gold Award.
5. What's on and where to goOne you've chosen your desired location and accommodation, start doing some research about what events are on while you're there and what the major sights are in the city. Make sure you allow time in your itinerary to visit a major landmark, perhaps book a tour or day trip in advance. There may be also be a play, music concert, festival or event that you both fancy. Exploring new places together is part of what's wonderful about being married.
6. Put life on holdThis is one of the greatest opportunities in your life to truly put the rest of the world on hold. Don't worry about work, family or other commitments. If you don't have children yet, then enjoy this precious 'responsibility free' time. Turn off your phones where possible, step away from Facebook and ignore those emails – everyone knows you're on your honeymoon anyway, so let it wait until you get home. Just because you're not in the Seychelles, doesn't mean you shouldn't still be 'getting away from it all'.
7. Fit in relaxation timeUltimately a honeymoon is about spending precious time together as husband and wife rather than a non-stop sightseeing holiday, which means it's all about finding the balance. Book some special things to do together such as afternoon tea, a boat trip or a couples' massage.
Where to stay on honeymoonIf you’ve been inspired by our staycation honeymoon advice, we have 28 hotels across the UK that will help you start married life in style. Book now to avoid missing out on special offers.
View All Posts