There's plenty to see and do in and around Preston, whatever the season. From things to do as a family, the best food and drink to the best free things to do in the area, you'll be spoilt for choice. Take a look at our recommended things to do in the northwest when staying at Hallmark Hotel Preston Leyland.
- March – Lancaster Literature Festival - Litfest develops writers, engages readers and audiences, and celebrates literary excellence.
- April – Chorley Cycling Grand Prix - Watch the country’s elite cyclists compete in the 2018 HSBC Spring Cup series as they battle-it-out over a challenging five-lap route through the Chorley countryside, before racing to the finish line on Park Road, in Chorley town centre.
- April & May – Viking: Rediscover The Legend - The most significant Viking treasure hoards ever discovered in Britain will be on display together for the first time in Southport this April!
- May – Southport Festival - Punk, folk, art, poetry, laughter, jellyfish, theatre, pottery, story time and choirs…this is Southport Festival.
- May – Wray Scarecrow Festival & Fayre - The villagers of Wray are back this year to create some weird, wacky and wonderful scarecrow creations to surprise and delight visitors.
- June – Cleveleys Classic Car Show - The Cleveleys Car Show is a town centre display of sports, classics, American and interesting cars which is free to enter.
- Leyland Festival - Each year the event begins with the traditional vehicle parade through Leyland ending at Worden Park. The popular parade features businesses and local community floats, marching bands, dance troupes and heritage vehicles.
- July – Lytham Festival – Steps, George Ezra, Emeli Sande, Nile Rodgers & Chic are just some of the names participating in this year’s festival.
- July – Southport Air Show – In 2017 the Air Show Village was packed with military attractions including a replica typhoon, diving tank, climbing wall and much more. And due to popular demand, the beach explosions were back, with Southport's beach being strafed and bombed, not just once, but three times!
- July – Royal Lancashire Show - Key attractions have already been booked and include the famous Dancing Sheep Show, Dog & Duck Show, Vander Super Heros Wheel of Death Show, Accrington Pipe Band, Flyin Ryan Motorcycle Stunt Show, the famous Shetland Pony Grand Prix, Horus Birds of Prey and Mere Brow Gun Dogs.
- August – Southport Flower Show - Southport Flower Show is the largest independent flower show in the country. Renowned for its spectacular show gardens and grand floral marquee, it also features the largest amateur' growers and floral art competitions.
- September – St Annes International Kite Festival - The skies above St Annes seafront will be awash with colour on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday as fabulous display kites take to the air on the beach adjacent to the pier.
- September – British Musical Fireworks Championship, Southport - Set in the beautiful Victoria Park, the British Musical Fireworks Championship presents firework displays like no other. Over three nights prepare for breathtaking displays, an array of light and a mixture of music which will have you dancing away.
- September – World Fireworks Championship Blackpool 2018 - The event will gather together the crème de la crème of the world’s firework elite and promises a mouth-watering series of shows with jaw-dropping entertainment for all the family - a great opportunity for visitors to take an extended weekend break.
- September to November – Blackpool Illuminations - At 10 kilometres long and using over one million bulbs the Blackpool Illuminations are an awesome spectacle. Every year there is a Switch On concert with a celebrity to Switch On the Illuminations.
- October – Farmaggedon - Farmaggedon is a "Scream Park" - an interactive horror experience. The whole park is themed with roaming zombies and creatures of the night.
- November – Light Up Lancaster – A magical festival of light and art, the annual festival sees thousands of visitors take to the streets after dark for a magical city-wide experience and illuminating art trail, culminating in a spectacular fireworks display.
- November – Blackpool Illuminations - At 10 kilometres long and using over one million bulbs the Blackpool Illuminations are an awesome spectacle. Every year there is a Switch On concert with a celebrity to Switch On the Illuminations.