The staff were always very helpful even though they were very busy at times. The dining room was most pleasant and the food fine for my tastes. There was a good choice of starters, main courses and desserts.
Eat and drink
When you visit us, we thoroughly recommend you take a look at the remarkable menu hanging on the wall of our bar. A memento of the splendid menu created for Queen Victoria’s visit, its multiple courses are enough to make a gourmand sigh and a nutritionist cry. You may wish to exhale and undo a button or two.
How times have changed. The brasserie at the Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland with its contemporary rich warm interiors and tasteful palate, offers fewer courses and calories. But we still know the secret of producing seriously tasteful dishes with a menu that blends modern British and European cuisine with some spicy classics from further afield.
You’ll find the likes of spiced lamb tagine, pan fried seabass fillet, Teriyaki salmon and mushroom ravioli, alongside beer battered local fish and chips, Kansas style bbq glazed spare ribs, 10oz ribeye steaks and our signature burgers. If you’ve any room left, you can try our refreshing lemon tart with clotted cream or our banana split sundae with sticky toffee fudge ice cream and whipped cream.
The Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland also offers a family menu and lighter bites in the bar. But we really can’t finish without mentioning our cracking Sunday lunch. Something of a fixture in Derby, it’s a great value traditional roast – the perfect fuel for an afternoon walk in the Peak District.
Restaurant opening times
- Monday – Thursday: 12:00 - 14:30 | 18:00 - 21:30
- Friday and Saturday: 12:00 - 14:30 | 18:00 - 21:30
- Sunday: 12:00 - 14:30 | 18:00 - 21:30
Kitchen closes: Lunch 14:30 | Dinner 21:30
Meet our head chef
Name: David Turner-Brown
Previous experience: Risley Hall Country House Hotel and Spa (Head Chef) - Four years and achieved one AA Rosette, Cockliffe Country House (Head Chef) - Two years and achieved two AA Rosettes
Signature dish: Beef Bourguignon - Made with ox cheek
How to make David Turner-Brown's signature dish at home
1. Marinate the ox cheek for 24 hours in red wine, along with the carrots, celery, onions, leeks, cloves, garlic, thyme, rosemary, peppercorns and some bay leaf
2. Once marinated, drain, lightly flour and sauté off the ox cheek
3. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, add the vegetables and pour onto the beef once more and cover with stock
4. Allow to braise for 2-4 hours at 120oC
5. Make the creamy mash (cut up the potatoes, boil them for 20 minutes, then add butter and milk, before mashing)
6. Cook the french beans, sauté the lardons of smoked belly pork and braised petit onions
7. Once the beef is ready, allow to cool, then take out and reduce the stock to a demi glaze season
8. Serve and enjoy!
Healthy option on our menu: For your main course, why not try our delicious Superfood Salad - roasted squash, red peppers, quinoa, edamame beans, baby kale, pomegranate and chilli-roasted seeds, with a balsamic, raspberry and black pepper dressing.
We offer a delicious breakfast buffet, including cooked and continental breakfast items. We are more than happy to provide table service for our guests on request. We also offer a wide choice of dishes cooked to order like omelettes, poached haddock, porridge, kippers and poached eggs. Vegetarian breakfast options are also available.
Breakfast is served between:
- Monday – Friday: 07.00 – 09.30
- Saturday: 08.00 – 10.00
- Sunday: 08.00 – 10.00
We also serve continental breakfast throughout the night via room service. We are fully flexible with our breakfast service times, as we don`t want our guests to miss their breakfast because…
1. Eating breakfast can help prevent obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes.
2. A better attention span, focus and productivity
3. Maintaining a healthy weight
4. Lower cholesterol, which reduces the risk of heart disease
5. Setting an example for our children
6. Essential nutrients
7. Eating breakfast can reverse the effects of fasting: irritability and fatigue
8. It has been linked to better learning ability and memory functions
9. Increase your metabolic rate
10. Better fitness
24 Hour room service
All our menus are available for room service delivery, between 10.00 and 22.00. After 22.00, we offer our takeaway menu with pizzas, hot dogs, nachos and sandwiches. We also offer a 24 hour drinks room service for our residents.
Served every Sunday from 12:30-14:30
The Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland serves a great-value, traditional roast in a relaxed atmosphere. Hang up your apron this Sunday, settle down with family and friends and let us look after you. As well as favourites such as roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, we have a vegetarian option, continental starters and mains, plus irresistible desserts to finish with.
- 1 course - £9.95 per person
- 2 Courses - £11.95 per person
- 3 Courses - £16.95 per person